Films Listed Alphabetically
List of Comedic Performers
List of Rock Musicians
Festival Schedule - New York
- Double-bill delight!
Definitive documentary about the "Secret Policeman's Ball" series - and brand-new music special!
Series co-creator/co-producer Martin Lewis in-person
Monday June 29, 2009 - 7:00 pm
Lincoln Center, New York City
- REMEMBER THE SECRET POLICEMAN'S BALL?
- (2004, 75 mins, Amnesty International/BBC, Directed by Margaret Kinmonth)
- This entertaining documentary was commissioned by the BBC to celebrate the 25th anniversary of "The Secret Policeman's Ball". Stuffed with a "That's Entertainment" style array of performances from the original shows, the film is a virtual "Best of The Balls". Providing history and context, the film presents recollections of many of the key participants including John Cleese, Michael Palin, Terry Jones, Terry Gilliam, Rowan Atkinson, Stephen Fry, Jennifer Saunders, Sting and Bob Geldof. The film delves into the archives of the earliest shows and confronts some of the performers with their younger selves with some memorable results. The film also looks at how the Amnesty shows reflected the evolution of British comedy from the mid-1970s to the present day. The film also traces how the introduction of rock music into the original format of comedy galvanized a generation of musicians into becoming social activists and led directly to Live Aid. As Sting describes it: "The seed was planted at Amnesty for Bob Geldof. He saw what they were doing. He saw how entertainment could help that process and then he took the "Ball" and ran with it. Further than anybody could possibly imagine..." This will be the US Premiere of the film in any media and its World Theatrical Premiere.
- THE SECRET POLICEMAN ROCKS!
- (2009, 60 mins, Amnesty International, Directed by Martin Lewis)
- Secret Policeman's Ball series co-creator and co-producer Martin Lewis who first recruited rock musicians for Amnesty was commissioned to create this brand-new music special celebrating the 30th anniversary of the series. Features historic performances by Pete Townshend, Sting, Peter Gabriel, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Dave Stewart, Kate Bush, Phil Collins, Bob Geldof et al. Not on DVD. This is its World Premiere.
- Comedic Performers:
- Rowan Atkinson • Alan Bennett • Connie Booth • Eleanor Bron • Tim Brooke-Taylor • Graham Chapman • John Cleese • Carol Cleveland • Robbie Coltrane • Billy Connolly • Peter Cook • Dame Edna • Dawn French • Stephen Fry • Graeme Garden • Terry Gilliam • The Goodies • Lenny Henry • Neil Innes • Terry Jones • Hugh Laurie • Jonathan Miller • Dudley Moore • Bill Oddie • Michael Palin • Monty Python • Griff Rhys Jones • Jennifer Saunders • Alexei Sayle
- Rock Musicians:
- Jeff Beck • Kate Bush • Eric Clapton • Phil Collins • Peter Gabriel • Bob Geldof • David Gilmour • Mark Knopfler • The Secret Police • Dave Stewart • Sting • Pete Townshend • John Williams
Click here for Ticket Information
Los Angeles Schedule |
New York Schedule
Films Alphabetically |
Comedic Performers |
Copyright © 2009 Springtime!